331J Theolophilus Polweile

Aὐθέντης, Authentēs. Or A treatise of self-deniall. Wherein the necessity and excellency of it is demonstrated; with several directions for the practice of it. By Theophilus Polwheile, M.A. sometimes of Emmanuel Colledge in Cambridge, now teacher of the Church at Teverton in Devon.


London:printed for Thomas Johnson, and are to be sold by Richard Scott book-seller in Carlisle 1658.               $2,000


Octavo 6 1/2 X 4 inches. π8, a-b8, B-Z8, Aa-Gg8, Hh3 (lacking final blank)

Bound in full 19th century calf .

In 1651 Polweile  took the degree of M.A. He was preacher at Carlisle until about 1655 (Dedication to Treatise on Self-deniall). In 1654 he was a member of the committee for ejecting scandalous ministers in the four northern counties of Cumberland, Durham, Northumberland, and Westmoreland. From that year until 1660, when he was driven from the living, he held the rectory of the portions of Clare and Tidcombe at Tiverton. The statement of the Rev. John Walker, in ‘The Sufferings of the Clergy,’ that he allowed the parsonage-house to fall into ruins, is confuted in Calamy’s ‘Continuation of Baxter’s Life and Times’ (i. 260–1). Polwhele sympathised with the religious views of the independents, and after the Restoration he was often in trouble for his religious opinions. After the declaration of James II the Steps meeting-house was built at Tiverton for the members of the independent body; he was appointed its first minister, and, on account of his age, Samuel Bartlett was appointed his assistant. He was buried in the churchyard of St. Peter, Tiverton, on 3 April 1689. His wife was a daughter of the Rev. William Benn of Dorchester. Their daughter married the Rev. Stephen Lobb.

There were three editions of this Published, this is the first,1658.   The second and third were printed in 1659. Each are very rare.







O copies located By the ESTC or OCLC

2) 322J The Derby Post -Man:

“Vol. I. Numb. 32. The Derby Post-Man, Or A Collection of the Most Material Occurences, Foreign and Domestick; Together with An Account of Trade. / To Be Continued Weekly. / Thursday, July 6. 1721. / Derby” Printed and Sold by S. Hodgkinson at the Printing-Office near St. Paul’s warburg’s Church; and by Hen. Allestree, Bookseller in Derby, Wm. Hole in Wirksworth; and may be had at Burton, Lichfield, [at Shenston, by Thomas Barfoot] Sutton, Birmingham, by Thomas Hide, and at Ashburn, Uttoxetur, Stafford and Stone by Tho. Hauworth, and will be left for any Gentlemen (by the Men who will come every Week to the abovesaid places) at I s. 6d. The Quarter; at all which places Advertisements are taken in at 2 s. Each. [Price Three-Half-Pence.]”


“Up to the year 1719/20 there does not appear to have been any printing done in Derby. Probably the earliest production of the Derby press is the first number of The Derby Postman, a quarto Thursday three-halfpenny paper, which was published on December 1, 1719. It was printed near “St. Warburg’s Church,” by S. Hodgkinson. In 1726 the title of this paper was changed to that of The British Spy. This newspaper was published at irregular periods, and was issued for several years, before it ceased to exist in 1731, by J. Hodgkinson, of Sadler Gate. Saml. Hodgkinson ceased printing about the year 1732.”—(The Bookworm: An Illustrated Treasury of Old-time Literature, Volume 5)


Derby [England] : printed by S[amuel]. Hodgkinson near St. Warburg’s Church; where advertisements and letters of corespondents are taken in, and all manner of books printed,

Quarto:  9 X 6 1/2  [A]4, B2.  First edition.             $2,250

This copy is disbound and has the original sewing.



O copies located in the United States

3) 700G      F.G. = Francis Gregory     1625?-1707 

   Oνομασικν βραχύ      (Onomastikon brachy)  sive. Nomenclatura brevis Anglo-Latino-Græca. In usum scholæ Westmonasteriensis. Per F.G. Editio duodecima emendata. Together with Examples of the five declensions of nouns; with the words in propria quæ maribus and quæ genus reduced to each declension_   

London : printed by J. Macock, for Richard Royston, book-seller to His most Sacred Majesty 1672             $2,200

Octavo, 6 3/4 X 4 1/2 inches.   A-E8  This copy is bound in full original sheep neatly  rebacked.  Gregory, born about 1625, was a native of Woodstock,  Oxfordshire. He was educated at Westminster under Busby, who, as he afterwards said, was not only a master but a father to him, and in 1641 was elected to a scholarship at Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating M.A. in 1648. He returned to Westminster School as usher till he was appointed head-master of the grammar school at Woodstock. He was a successful teacher, and numbered among his pupils several sons of noble families. An ardent royalist he was chosen to preach the thanksgiving sermon for the Restoration at St. Mary’s, Oxford, 27 May 1660, and afterwards published it under the title of ‘David’s Return from Banishment.’ He also published ‘Votivum Carolo, or a Welcome to his sacred Majesty Charles II from the Master and Scholars of Woodstock School,’ a volume of English and Latin verses composed by Gregory and his pupils. Shortly afterwards he became head-master of a newly founded school at Witney, Oxfordshire, and 22 Sept. 1661 he was incorporated D.D. of Oxford University from St. Mary Hall. He was appointed a chaplain to the king, and in 1671 was presented by Earl Rivers to the living of Hambleden, Buckinghamshire. He. kept this post till his death in 1707. He was buried in the church, where a tablet was erected to his memory._   This book consists of Parallel vocabulary : Then Examples of the five declensions of nouns; followed by Examples of Adjectives. _   Not in Wing see G1899E a different printer              

 According to the ESTC there are 28 editions printed between 1651 and 1769 listing only eleven copies in the US, This copy is listed with only one copy at the Westminster School(where else could you expect?!)





1 copy located in the United States


4)  332J John Paulet (1598-1675). 272J.  Nicholas Talon 1605-1691 & Nicholas Caussin, 1583-1651

The holy history containing , and histories of the Old Testament. With a vindication of the verity thereof from the aspersions of atheists and anti-scripturians : Written originally in French by Nicolas Causin and Talon, and elegantly rendred into English out of the seventh and last edition by a person of honour.  

London : Printed by T[homas]. W[arren]. Printed for Jo. Crook and Jo. Baker, and are to be sold at the sign of the ship in St. Paul’s Church-yard. 1653.     $1,100

Quarto  π1,A4,B-Z4, Aa-Zz4, Aaa-Hhh4.  First Edition This is a beautiful copy, in pristine original condition the boards are at least wrapped in binders waste and most-likely made up of  printed text in English both  the front and rear boards have the text of [Most Probably} Wing G1163.  The divine authority of the Scriptures asserted, or The great charter of the worlds blessednes vindicated. Being a discourse of soveraigne use and service in these times; not only against that king of errours, and heresies anti-scripturisme, who hath already destroyed th faith of many, and hath all the faith in the world yet remaining, in chase, but also against all such inward suggestions and secret underminings of Satan, by which he privily attempteth the ruine of the precious faith and hope, wherewith the saints have built up themselves with much spirituall industry and care. Together with two tables annexed; the former, of the contents, and severall arguments more largely prosecuted in the treatise; the later, of such texts of Scripture unto which some light is given therein.By John Goodvvin a servant unto God and men in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 1648

Over these wonderful boards is contemporary full blind-ruled sheepskin,  the plain spine chipped at the base, joints are intact, the endpapers  are slight browned and dusty, occasional spot but text is clean. The front end paper is slightly chipped at the bottom corner, the title page creased bottom right corner, with a brown spot to the bottom left. The engraved title is very finely executed and is by Hollar.”


Wing (2e éd.) C155 C1551

ESTC Copies – N.America

1; University of California, Los Angeles, William Andrews Clark Memorial Library .



Nicolas Talon (31 August 1605 – 29 March 1691) was a French Jesuit, historian, and ascetical writer. Talon was born at Moulins. Entering the Society of Jesus in 1621, he taught literature for several years. After his ordination he gained some reputation as a preacher, was a worker in the prisons and

hospitals of Paris, and served as army chaplain with the French troops in Flanders, winning the admiration of the men and the lifelong friendship of the Prince de Conde. He assisted the notorious outlaw Aime du Poncet during his painfully protracted execution, and it is said that Poncet died penitent and resigned. This striking conversion made a profound impression. Talon died in Paris. Talon’s portrait was engraved by Heer. Carlos Sommervogel mentions 300 of his letters in the d’Aumale collection at Chantilly.

Nicholas Caussin, (1583-1651) A famous Jesuit preacher and moralist; b. at Troyes in France, in 1583; d. at Paris, 2 July, 1651. His father, a physician of extensive practice, was able from a competent income to aid materially in the development of the remarkable talents that his son early displayed. Young Caussin’s success in oratory, particularly after his entry into the Society of Jesus (1609), was brilliant, and drew to him the attention of the royal family. When the kingdom of Henry IV was fast declining under the impotent sway of the queen-regent, Marie de’ Medici, Louis XIII came to the throne. Richelieu summoned Caussin to court to direct the young king’s conscience. The task was a difficult one in those disturbed times, but Caussin, with scrupulous earnestness, gave his heart and soul to the work. The king, who relied implicitly on him, was made to realize that peace would once more reign in his realm and in his own soul when he recalled the queen-mother and other members of the royal family from the banishment in which they were languishing. Richelieu disliked this advice and accused Caussin of raising false scruples in the king’s mind, and even of holding communications that savoured of treachery or that were at all events disloyal to his sovereign, with another of the royal chaplains. Caussin was at once banished to Quimper-Corentin in Brittany, where he remained until the death of Richelieu in 1643, when he returned to Paris to prepare his works for the press.Many false statement regarding Caussin’s disgrace were current. The Jansenist Arnauld claims that “it was well known from persons intimately connected at the former court of Louis XIII, that Father Caussin considered himself obliged to tell His Majesty that attrition, arising from the fear of hell alone, was not sufficient for justification, as there could be no justification without love of God, and this was what caused his disgrace.”Many more surmises were engaged in by other Jansenists, but the reason given above is admitted by unfriendly biographers of the father. Among his works are: “La Cour Sainte” (5 vols.)—”A comprehensive system of moral maxims, pious reflections and historical examples, forming in itself a complete library of rational entertainment, Catholic devotion, and Christian knowledge.” It was translated into several languages and has done much to perpetuate his fame. The English translation was printed in Dublin in 1815. “Le parallèle de l’éloquence sacree et profane”; “La vie de Sante Isabelle de France, soeur du roi St. Louis”; “Vie du Cardinal du Richelieu”; “Thesaurus Græcæ Poeseos.”

For his other works see De Backer, “Bibl. des écriv. de la c. de J.” (Liège, 1855), and Sommervogel (new ed., Liège), II Feller, Biog. Univ. (Paris 1834); Duhr, Jesuiten Fabelen (4th ed. , 1904), 670 sqq.; Cherot in Dict. de théol. cath., s.v.John J. Cassidy.” src=

Our Translator.     Marquis of Winchester.  John Paulet (1598-1675) Born probably at Basing House, Hampshire  Died: 5th March 1675 at Englefield House, Berkshire.             He was the third, but eldest surviving, son of William, 4th Marquis of Winchester (d. 1629) by Lucy (d. 1614), second daughter of Sir Thomas Cecil, afterwards 2nd Lord Burghley and Earl of Exeter. On 7th December 1620, was elected MP for St. Ives, Cornwall. He was sum moned to the House of Lords as Baron St. John on 10th February 1624, became Captain of Netley Castle in 1626 and succeeded to the Marquisate on 4th February 1629, becoming also keeper of Pamber Forest, Hampshire. In order to pay off the debts incurred by his father’s lavish hospitality, he passed many years in comparative seclusion.    But on 18th February 1639, he wrote to Secretary Windebank that he would be quite ready to attend the King on his Scottish expedition ‘with alacrity of heart and in the best equipage his fortunes would  permit’. Winchester being a Roman Catholic, Basing House, Hampshire, his chief seat – on every pane of which he had written within a diamond‘Aimez Loyauté‘ – became, at the outbreak of the Civil War, the great re sort of the Queen’s friends in South-West England. It occurred to the King’s military advisers that the house might be fortified and garrisoned to much advantage, as it commanded the main road from the Western Counties to London.

The journal of the Siege of Basing House forms one of the most remarkable features of the Civil War. It commenced in August 1643, when the whole force with which Winchester had to defend it, in addition to his own inexperienced people, amounted only to one hundred mus keteers sent to him from Oxford, on 31st July under the command of   Lieutenant-Colonel Peake. He subsequently received an additional force of 150 men under Colonel Rawdon. In this state of comparative weakness, Basing resisted, for more than three months, the continued attack of the combined Parliamentary troops of Hampshire and Sussex, commanded by five colonels of reputation.The Catholics at Oxford successfully conveyed provisions to Basing under Colonel Gage.

An attempt by Lord Edward Paulet, Winchester’s youngest brother, then serving under him in the house, to betray Basing to the enemy was frustrated and he was turned out of the garrison. On 11th July 1644, Colonel Morley summoned Winchester to surrender. Upon his refusal, the besiegers tried to batter down the water-house. On 13th July, a shot passed through Winchester’s clothes and, on the 22nd, he was struck by a ball. A second summons to surrender was sent by Colonel Norton on 2nd September, but was at once rejected. About 11th September, the garri son was relieved by Colonel Gage who, being met by Lieutenant-Colonel Johnson by the Grange, routed Morley’s and Norton’s men and entered the house. He left with Winchester one hundred of Colonel Hawkins’ white-coated men and, after taking Basingstoke, sent  provisions  to Basing. Meanwhile, Winchester, with the white-coats and others under Major Cuffaud and Captain Hull, drove the besiegers out of Basing.  On 14th November, Gage again arrived at Basing and, on the 17th, the Siege was raised. Norton was succeeded by a stronger force under the command of Colonel Harvey, which had no better fortune. At length, Sir William Waller advanced against it at the head of seven thousand horse and foot. StillWinchester contrived to hold out. But after the Battle of Naseby, Cromwell marched from Win chester upon Basing and, after a most obsti nate conflict, took it by storm on 16th October 1645. Winchester was brought in a prisoner, with his house flaming around him. He broke out and said “that if the king had no more ground in England but Basing House, he would adventure it as he did, and so maintain it to the uttermost,” comforting himself in this matter “that Basing House was called Loyalty”. Thenceforward, he was called the ‘great loyalist.’ What remained of Basing, which Hugh Peters, after its fall, told the House of Commons ‘would have become an emperor to dwell in,’ the Parliamentarians levelled to the ground, after pil laging it of money, jewels, plate and household stuff to the value, it is said, of £200,000.Winchester was committed to the Tower on a charge of high treason on 18th October 1645 and his estates were ordered to be sequestered. An order was made for allowing him £5 a week out of his property on 15th January 1646. Lady Winchester, who had escaped from Basing two days before its fall, was sent to join her husband in the Tower on 31st January and a weekly sum of £10, afterwards increased to £15, was ordered to be paid her for the support of herself and her children, with the stipulation that the latter were to be educated as Protestants. An ordinance for the sale of Winchester’s land was passed on 30th October and, by the Act of 16th July 1651, a portion was sold by the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. On 7th Sept 1647, Winchester was allowed  to drink the waters at Epsom and stayed there by permission of Parliament for nearly six months. The House of Lords, on 30th June 1648, urged the Commons to release him on bail in consideration of his bad health. In the propositions sent to the King at the Isle of Wight, on 13th October, it was expressly stipulated that Winchester’s name be excepted from pardon. Ultimately, the Commons resolved, on 14th March 1649, not to proceed against him for high treason; but they ordered him to be detained in prison and excepted from any composition for his estate. In January 1650, he was a prisoner in execution in the upper bench for debts amounting to £2,000 and he petitioned Cromwell for relief. The sale of his lands was discontinued by order of Parliament on 15th March 1660 and, after the Restoration, Winchester received them back. It was proposed, on 3rd August 1660, to recom pense him for his losses to the amount of £19,000 and damages, subsequently reduced to £10,000. This was agreed to on 2nd July 1661 but, in the event, he was allowed to go unrecompensed. A bill for confirming an award for settling differences between him and his eldest son, Charles, in regard to the estates, was passed in 1663.Winchester retired to his estate at Englefield, Berkshire, which he had acquired by his second marriage, and passed the re mainder of his life in privacy, dividing his time between agriculture and literature. He greatly enlarged the house, the front of which, says Granger, bore a beautiful resemblance to a church organ, but ‘is now no more’ [1775].Winchester died at Englefield House on 5th March 1675, as Premier Marquis of England, and was buried in the church there. On the monument raised by his wife to his memory are engraved some fine lines by Dryden. He was married three times: first, to Jane (d. 1631), eldest daughter of Thomas, 1st Viscount Savage, by whom he had issue, Charles, his successor, created 1st Duke of Bolton in 1689. Milton wrote an epitaph in 1631 upon Jane, Lady Winchester; and James Howell, who taught her Spanish, has com memorated her beauty and goodness. Winchester’s second wife was Lady Honora de Burgh (1611-1662), daughter of Richard, 1st Earl of St. Albans and Clanricarde, who brought him four sons – of whom two only, John and Francis, lived to manhood – and threedaughters. By his third wife, Isabella Howard, second daughter of William, 1st Viscount Stafford, he had no children.Clarendon has celebrated   Winchester’s goodness, piety and unselfish loyalty in elo quent and just language. Three works, translated from the French by Winchester, are extant: 1. ‘Devout Entertainment of a Christian Soule,’ by Jacques Hugues Quarré, Paris, 1648, done during his imprison ment in the Tower. 2. ‘The Gallery of Heroick Women,’ by Pierre Le Moyne, a Jesuit, London, 1652, in praise of which James Howell wrote some lines. 3. ‘The Holy History’ of Nicholas Talon, London, 1653. To these works Winchester prefixed prefaces, written in simple, unaffected English, and remarkable for their tone of gentle piety. In 1663, Sir Balthazar Gerbier, in dedicating to him a treatise called ‘Counsel and advice to all Builders,’ takes occasion to commend Englefield (or, as he calls it, ‘Henfelde’) House. Winchester’s portrait has been engraved in a small oval by Hollar. There is also a miniature of him by Peter Oliver, which has been engraved by Cooper, and an equestrian portrait by Adams.”


Wing C1551, DeBacker-Sommervogel vol.VII col.1822 no.1

Wing (2e éd.) C1551     ESTC Copies – N.America                                                                 1;”>University of California, Los Angeles, William Andrews Clark Memorial Library






1 copy located in the United States

5) 308J. William Salmon 1644-1713

The family-dictionary; or, Household companion: Containing, in an alphabetical method, I. Directions for cookery, in dressing flesh, fowl, fish, herbs, boots, &c. Seasoning, making sauces, bills of fare, art of carving, &c. II. Making all sorts of pastry ware, and things made of meal, flower, whether bak’d, boyled, or fried, &c. III. Making of conserves, candies, preserves, confects, lozenges, gellies, creams, pickles, &c. IV. The making all kinds of potable liquors, … English wines of cherries, currants, gooseberries, raspberries, &c. Cyder, cyder-royal, usquebaugh, cordial waters. V. The making of all sorts of rare perfumes, sweet balls, pouders, admirable washes, beautifying waters, oils, essences, pomatums. VI. The virtues and uses of the most usual herbs and plants, their roots, barks, leaves, flowers, fruits, seeds, used in physick. VII. The preparations of several choice medicines, … The second edition, corrected, and much enlarged. By William Salmon, professor of physic.


London: Printed for H. Rhodes, at the Star, the corner of Bride-lane, in Fleet-street: and sold by R. Clavel at the Peacock against St. Dunstan’s Church in Fleetstreet 1696.     $2,800

Identified as Wing S429 on UMI microfilm set “Early English books, 1641-1700”, reel 1339.

Octavo  7 X 4 ½ inches  A4, B-Z8,Aa-Cc8./  Lacking O4&5 – Errata on p. 393./ Publisher’s advertisements last 7 unnumbered pages.  This copy is bound in its original full calf , a very nice copy in original condition.

Estc shows only one US copy At the Folger.  [see below]

The enclyopedic nature of this book manages for some rather interesting Juxtapositions of descriptions of necessary things to know of. For example Lump or Ling=Pye  (a wonderful pasterie ) and next we have Lunacy  ( which is a distemper first seated in the blood  and then afflicting the brain)..  and there are some long descriptions of and uses for rather obscure substances, Bezorattic=Powder(a highly esteemed thing)

And ofcourse there is Aqua Mirabilis, Aqua Epidemica, Scurvigras=wine, Tetters to kill:  And on and on!

William Salmon according to an inscription under his portrait in Ars Anatomica (1714), William Salmon was born on 2 June 1644 Almost nothing is known about his upbringing or his education. He may have traveled in New England or the West Indies {Osler,  Bibliotheca Osleriana }  It was rumored that his earliest teacher was a traveling charlatan from whom he inherited his original stock-in-trade.

Salmon set up in business near the Smithfield gate of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in London, where he could attract patients who did not receive treatment at the hospital.

He treated diseases, compounded and sold prescriptions, cast horoscopes, and studied alchemy, all “form[s] of medical practice common at the time”. In 1684, Salmon moved to the Blue Balcony by the ditch side, near Holborn Bridge, living there until 1692  By 1698, when he published Ars chirurgica, he indicated that his residence was the Great House by Black Friars’ Stairs.

Salmon’s published works covered an incredibly wide range of topics, including pharmacology, medicine, surgery, alchemy, chiromancy, astrology, almanacs, botany, cooking, and art. In part, he was able to publish so prolifically because large sections of his texts were “copied, translated, abridged, enlarged and compiled from the texts of others”. Salmon openly acknowledged that much of his work was derivative, stating “we have scrutinized the best Authors, to many of which we have been very much beholden”, with an extensive list of members of the Mathematical, Medical, and Chyrurick Tribes, as well as Anatomists, chymists, and a multitude of others. Even by the standards of his time, he was criticized for failing to individually credit the sources from which specific materials were taken. In addition, instead of taking a specific philosophical position and siding with one of the competing schools of medical thought, Salmon created “a compendium of everything”. The publication history of his books is complicated, as subsequent editions of a title often added more and more material. For example, the 1701 edition of Polygraphice was almost three times the length of the first edition.



1 copy located in the United States

6). 267J    William. Willymott d≠1737.

Phaedrus His Fables with English Notes. By Wiliam Willymott,L.L.D. Fellow of King’s-College in Cambridge. For The Use of Schools. Sixth edition, Corrected.

Lodon [sic] : printed for John Osborn, and Tho. Longman, 1728.           $ 900


Octavo 5 ½ x 3 ¾  A-U4 Bound in contemporary full sheepskin, darkening to upper cover, spine ends and corners worn, Lacks the pastedown endpapers and the front blank. Title page dusty. A Good copy of a rare work. ESTC locates copies at BL and Bodleian only.

All editions:

1)     Phaedrus. Phædrus his fables, London : Printed by Tho. Mead: and are to be sold by Robert Fary, druggist, near St. Magnus Chur        1706.  BL & UCLA

2)     Phaedrus. Phædrus his Fables, London : H. Meere, for Robert Fary, druggist, 1713.  BL

3)     Phaedrus. Phædrus his Fables Lodon [sic] : Osborn, and Tho. Longman, 1728.                  BL & Oxford

4)     Phaedrus. Phrædrus [sic] his Fables, London : R. Fary, and sold by John Osborn, 1720. BL & Westminster Abbey

Phaedrus considered himself a genuine, pioneering artist whose poems, combining charm with a serious didactic purpose, were assured of immortality. He also prided himself on his brevity. The fables of Phaedrus include such favourites as “The Fox and the Sour Grapes,” “The Wolf and the Lamb,” “The Lion’s Share,” “The Two Wallets,” and “The Pearl in the Dung-Heap.” His work became extremely popular in the Middle Ages. Numerous prose and poetic versions of his tales appeared in Europe and Britain. A collection called Romulus was the basis of most of them; Phaedrus’ identity having been lost, some scholars assumed that Romulus was the author.

WILLYMOTT, WILLIAM (d. 1737), grammarian, born at Royston in Cambridgeshire, was the second son of Thomas Willymott of Royston, by his wife Rachael, daughter of William Pindar, rector of Boswell Springfield in Essex. He was educated at Eton and admitted a scholar of King’s College, Cambridge, on 20 Oct. 1692, graduating B.A. in 1697, M.A. in 1700, and LL.D. in 1707. He became a fellow, and after taking his master’s degree went as usher to Eton. After some years he left Eton and commenced a private school at Isleworth. In 1721 he was an unsuccessful candidate for the mastership of St. Paul’s school, being rejected apparently because he was suspected of an attachment to the Pretender. Some time before this he studied civil law and entered himself of Doctors’ Commons, but, changing his mind, took orders, and in 1721 was made vice-provost of King’s College, of which he was then senior fellow. In 1705 he was presented to the rectory of Milton, near Cambridge. He died, unmarried, on 7 June 1737, at the Swan Inn at Bedford, while returning from a visit to Bath.

Willymott was the author of numerous school books. Among them may be mentioned: 1. ‘English Particles exemplified in Sentences designed for Latin Exercises,’ London, 1703, 8vo; 8th edit. 1771. 2. ‘The Peculiar Use and Signification of certain Words in the Latin Tongue,’ Cambridge, 1705, 8vo; 8th edit. Eton, 1790, 8vo;








2 copies located in the United States

7) 670G   Edmund Gurnay      ±1648

The demonstration of Antichrist. By Edmund Gurnay, Bach. Theol. p. of Harpley Norfolke

London:Printed by I[ohn] B[eale] for Iames Boler, and are to be sold at the signe of the Marigold in Pauls Churchyard 1631                      $2,900

Octavo, 5 1/4 X 3 1/4 inches. First edition A12,B5{ lacking b6 Blank}. This copy is bound in calf boards rebacked.       Gurney matriculated at Queens’ College, Cambridge, on 30 October 1594, and graduated B.A. in 1600. He was elected Norfolk fellow of Corpus Christi College in 1601, proceeded to M.A. in 1602, and B.D. in 1609. In 1607 he was suspended from his fellowship for not being in orders, but was reinstated by the vice-chancellor. In 1614 he left Cambridge, on being presented to the rectory of Edgefield, Norfolk, which he held till 1620, when he received that of Harpley, Norfolk. Gurney was inclined to puritanism, as appears from his writings. On one occasion he was cited to appear before the bishop for not using a surplice, and on being told he was expected to always wear it, ‘came home, and rode a journey with it on.’ He further made his citation the occasion for publishing his tract vindicating the Second Commandment. Thomas Fuller, who was personally acquainted with him, says: ‘He was an excellent scholar, could be humourous, and would be serious as he was himself disposed. His humours were never prophane towards God or injurious towards his neighbours.’ Gurney died in 1648. Gurney was married, and apparently had a son called Protestant (d. 1624—monument at Harpley). DNB STC (2nd ed.), 12529 [Stationer’s Register: Entered 29 January [1631.]

Copies – Brit.Isles British Library
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge University Magdalene College
Congregational Library
Lincoln Cathedral Library
Oxford University                                                                                                                           Copies – N.America   :Folger Shakespeare &Huntington(only)

Fuller’s Worthies, p. 258, ed. 1652





2 copies located in the United States

8)  606G John Reading  1588-1667

Dauids soliloquie. Containing many comforts for afflicted mindes. As they were deliuered in sundry sermons at Saint Maries in Douer. By Io: Reading. 

Printed [by John Legat] for Robert Allot, and are to be sold at his shop in Saint Pauls Church-yeard at the signe of the Greyhound :1627         $950

Octavo, 5 1/2 X 3 inches . A-V X .Leaves A1, A11, A12 are blank. With additional engraved title page (plate), signed: F. Hulsius invenit et sculps·. This copy is bound in original soiled vellum. Reading matriculated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford, on 4 May 1604, and graduated B.A. on 17 October 1607. He took holy orders about 1614 and was chaplain to Edward la Zouche, 11th Baron Zouche of Haringeworth, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports and governor of Dover Castle. After preaching at Dover many sermons before his patron, Reading was appointed minister of St. Mary’s on 2 December 1616, at the request of the parishioners, . He secured a position of influence in the town, and subsequently became chaplain to Charles I .  Although his sermons advocated Puritan principles, he supported the king’s cause in the English Civil War. In 1642 his study at Dover was plundered by parliamentary soldiers, and he was imprisoned for nineteen months.  By direction of Charles I, and William Laud,  Reading was made  the rector of Chartham, Kent, on 27 January 1643.  The House of Commons declined to sanction Reading’s institution, and appointed Edward Corbett. Laud refused to abandon Reading.  A prebend in Canterbury which was bestowed on Reading at the same time brought him no advantage. In July 1644 he was presented by Sir William Brockman to the living of Cheriton, Kent, and in the same year Reading was appointed by the Westminster Assembly to be one of nine commissioned to write annotations on the New Testament. Shortly after 1645, on the discovery of a plot for the capture of Dover Castle by the royalists, he was arrested by command of Major John Boys, and hurried to Dover Castle, and next day to Leeds Castle. There he composed the “Guide to the Holy City.”’ He was at length discharged by the parliamentary committee for Kent, and the restitution of his goods was ordered; but his livings were sequestered. On 8 January 1647 he was a prisoner in the Fleet Prison. On 10 March 1650 he attacked the right of unordained preaching in a public disputation with the baptist Samuel Fisher of Folkestone. Fisher used arguments from Jeremy Taylor’s “Discourse of the Liberty of Prophesying,”’ which Reading had already criticised in print.Reading was restored to his Dover living shortly before the English Restoration of 1660. On 25 May 1660 he presented to Charles II, on his first landing, a large bible with gold clasps, in the name of the corporation of Dover, and made a short speech, which was published as a broadside. He was shortly afterwards restored to Chartham, made canon of the eighth prebend of Canterbury, and reinstituted to Cheriton on 18 July . In October following the university of Oxford conferred on him the degree of D.D. per literas regias. Before August 1662 he resigned the living at Dover.

STC (2nd ed.), 20788 Estc Locates Folger and Huntington only.