116G Sir James Stuart

James Steuarts answer to a letter writ by Mijn Heer Fagel pensioner to the states of Holland and Uuest-Frislaid, concerning the repeal of the penal laws and tests.


[Edinburgh] : London, printed and re-printed in Edinburgh by John Reid,1688 $2,900

Octavo 6 x 3 3/4 inches

This book has a very interesting collation : A-E4./ Gathering C has pages pasted back-to-back. Maybe this is the printer’s correction of original mis-gathering?verso of E4 blank.

A leaf for signature C delaminating
A leaf for signature C delaminating


This is leaf C1 which is paster one a completely different text ? quite weird the whole of signature C is like this in this copy and one Listed in ESTC!

First edition This copy is disbound.

Both OCLC & ESTC show only three copies in the US Huntinghton ,Univ of Ill ans Emory.

In 1688, in preparation for the English Revolution during which William III landed in England, Fagel wrote to English advocate James Stewart calling on public figures there to not use the various anti-Catholic Test Oaths and associated legislation to restrict the liberties of Catholic citizens. While his correspondence called for liberty and freedom of religion, Fagel also suggested that the Dutch would support the softening of some laws only if:“…those Laws remain still in their full vigour by which the Roman Catholics are shut out of both Houses of Parliament, and out of all public employment; Ecclesiastical, Civil and Military: as likewise all those others, which confirm the Protestant Religion and which secures it against all the attempts of the Roman Catholic.”The effect of this letter, and others, was to assure the Parliament that William III would not stand in the way of the Parliament’s legislative agenda which manifested itself in the form of the Bill of Rights of 1689.

Wing (CD-ROM, 1996),; S5534; ESTC (RLIN),; R005825



670G Edmund Gurnay ±1648

The demonstration of Antichrist. By Edmund Gurnay, Bach. Theol. p. of HarpleyNorfolke


London:Printed by I[ohn] B[eale] for Iames Boler, and are to be sold at the signe of the Marigold in Pauls Churchyard 1631 2900 Octavo 5 1/4 X 3 1/4 inches A12,B5{ lacking b6 Blank}. First edition This copy is bound in calf boards rebacked. Gurney was son of Henry Gurney of West Barsham and Ellingham, Norfolk, by his wife Ellen, daughter of John Blennerhasset of Barsham, Suffolk. He matriculated at Queens’ College, Cambridge, on 30 October 1594, and graduated B.A. in 1600. He was elected Norfolk fellow of Corpus Christi College in 1601, proceeded to M.A. in 1602, and B.D. in 1609. In 1607 he was suspended from his fellowship for not being in orders, but was reinstated by the vice-chancellor.In 1614 he left Cambridge, on being presented to the rectory of Edgefield, Norfolk, which he held till 1620, when he received that of Harpley, Norfolk. Gurney was inclined to puritanism, as appears from his writings. On one occasion he was cited to appear before the bishop for not using a surplice, and on being told he was expected to always wear it, ‘came home, and rode a journey with it on.’ He further made his citation the occasion for publishing his tract vindicating the Second Commandment. Thomas Fuller, who was personally acquainted with him, says: ‘He was an excellent scholar, could be humourous, and would be serious as he was himself disposed. His humours were never prophane towards God or injurious towards his neighbours.’ Gurney died in 1648, and was buried at St. Peter’s Mancroft, Norwich, on 14 May in that year. His successor at Harpley was instituted on the following day. It is therefore plain that Gurney conformed to the covenant, and that the Dr. Gurney whom Walker mentions as a sequestered clergyman living in 1650 was another person. Gurney was married, and apparently had a son called Protestant (d. 1624—monument at Harpley). DNB.

STC (2nd ed.), 12529 [Stationer’s Register: Entered 29 January [1631.]Copies – N.America :Folger Shakespeare Huntington Library and Art Gallery Fuller’s Worthies, p. 258, ed. 1652



744G John Langston 1641-1704

Lusus poeticus Latino-Anglicanus in usum scholarum. Or The more eminent sayings of the Latin poets collected; and for the service of youth in that ancient exercise, commonly called capping of verses, alphabetically digested; and for the greater benefit of young beginners i the Latin tongue, rendred into English. By John Langston teacher of a private grammar-school near Spittle-fields, London.


London : printed for Henry Eversden at the Crown in Cornhil, near the Stocks-market, 1675. $1,400

Octavo 5 3/4 X 3 3/4 Inches This copy is re-bound in full 17th century style calf

First edition, 2nd edition in 1679 and 3rd edition in 1688. This alphabetically arranged compendium of eminent sayings by Latin poets for the service of youth in capping of verses is the work for which Langston is best remembered. He issued a lesser known grammatical work, “Poeseos Graecae Medulla”, in 1679. He published nothing of a religious nature, but issued the following for school purposes: 1. ‘Lusus Poeticus Latino-Anglicanus,’ &c., 1675, 8vo; 2nd edition, 1679, 8vo; 3rd edition, 1688, 12mo (intended as an aid to capping verses). 2. ‘ π . Sive Poese Græcæ Medulla, cum versione Latina,’ &c., 1679, 8vo.”LANGSTON, was an , independent divine, was born about 1641, according to Calamy. He went from the Worcester grammar school to Pembroke College, Oxford, where he was matriculated as a servitor in Michaelmas term 1655, and studied for some years. Wood does not mention his graduation. At the Restoration in 1660 (when, if Calamy is right, he had not completed his twentieth year) he held the sequestered perpetual curacy of Ashchurch, Gloucestershire, from which be was displaced by the return of the incumbent. He went to London, and kept a private school near Spitalfields. On the coming into force of the Uniformity Act (24 Aug. 1662) he crossed over to Ireland as chaplain and tutor to Captain Blackwell, but returned to London and to school-keeping in 1663. Under the indulgence of 1672 he took out a license, in concert with William Hooke (d. March 1677, aged 77), formerly master of the Savoy, ‘to preach in Richard Loton’s house in Spittle-yard.’ Some time after 1679 he removed into Bedfordshire, where he ministered till, in 1686, he received an invitation from a newly separated congregation of independents, who had hired a building in Green Yard, St. Peter’s parish, Ipswich. Under his preaching a oongregational church of seventeen persons was formed on 12 Oct. 1686. Langston, his wife, and thirty others were admitted to membership on 22 Oct., when a call to the pastorate was given him; he accepted it on 29 Oct., and was set apart by four elders at a solemn fast on 2 Nov. A ‘new chappell’ in Green Yard was opened on 26 June 1687, and the church membership was raised to 123 persons, many of them from neighbouring villages. Calamy says he was driven out of his house, was forced to remove to London, and was there accused of being a jesuit, whereupon he published a successful ‘Vindication.’ The publication is unknown, and Calamy gives no date; the year 1697 has been suggested. Langston’s church-book gives no hint of any persecution, but shows that he was in the habit of paying an annual visit of about three weeks’ duration to London with his wife. He notices the engagement with the French fleet at La Hogue on 19 May 1692, ‘for ye defeat of wh blessed he God,’ and the earthquake on 8 Sept. in the same year. The tone of his ministry was conciliatory ‘towards people of different perswasions.’ In November 1702 Benjamin Glandfield (d. 10 Sept. 1720) was appointed as his assistant. Langston died on 12 Jan. 1704, ‘aetat. 64.’ (DNB). Wing L411; Arber’s Term cat. I 213.

804G Tertullian approximately 160-approximately 230

Tertullians apology, or Defence of the Christians, against the accusations of the gentiles. Now made English by H.B. Esq.

DSC_0038 (1)

London : printed by Tho. Harper, and are to be sold by Thomas Butler at his shop in Lincolns-Inn fields, near the New-market, 1655.                                    $2,550

Quarto 7 X 5 1/4 inches a-c4 A2 B-2C4. This copy is bound in full contemporary sheep. Tertullians Apologetics was written in Carthage in 197 AD; the shorter Ad Scapulam was composed shortly after 212. Also included, as often, is the slightly earlier Octavius of Minucius, a dialogue in the Ciceronian manner between a pagan and a Christian, and one of the earliest of all surviving Christian apologetic texts. This edition is translated by Henry Brown. Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), T785


DSC_0037 (1)